- To help reduce mortality in infancy.
Definition of indicator and its variants:
- Deaths of infants at various ages under one year.
- Age group
- (see glossary)
- Current data
- Trend data
- File-worksheet name
- Number of infant deaths and infant mortality rate per 1000 live birthsP
- <1 year, <28 days, <7 daysE&W, E, GOR, ONS area, SHA, LA, PCO, CTY2009-2011
- Numerator data - Number of deaths of infants at various ages (<1 year, <28 days, <7 days), for all maternal ages and for maternal ages under 20 years and 20 years and over, registered in the respective calendar years(s).
- Source of numerator data - Office for National Statistics (ONS).
- Comments on numerator data - Data on infant deaths by maternal age were extracted from "linked files", where death records are linked to corresponding birth records. A small proportion of records were not linked successfully (e.g. the child may have been born in another country), hence totals may vary from published figures slightly.
- Denominator data - Live births occurring in the respective calendar year(s) for respective maternal ages.
- Source of denominator data - ONS.
- Comments on denominator data - None.
Interpretation of indicators:
- Quality of indicator - Annex 12 describes the criteria that should be used to judge the quality of this indicator. The application of the criteria is dependent on the context (e.g. describing a single organisation, comparing several organisations) and the level (e.g. national / regional with large numbers of events, local with small numbers of events) at which the data are to be used.
Note - This document has been edited to include Surrey data only. For the full version, go to https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/childmortalitystatisticschildhoodinfantandperinatalchildhoodinfantandperinatalmortalityinenglandandwales
About this dataset
Created 6 years ago, updated 3 years ago
|Licence||UK Open Government Licence (OGL v3)|