This page includes the Surrey-specific data from the national 2021 Census release which has been prepared by the SCC Population Insight team. A summary of the communal establishment data for Surrey residents has also been produced and is available on Surrey-i.

A communal establishment is an establishment with full-time or part-time supervision providing residential accommodation, such as student halls of residence, boarding schools, armed forces bases, hospitals, care homes, and prisons.

When interpreting the data, it is important to keep in mind that the census was conducted during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, which may have affected the number of residents in certain types of communal establishment. For example, the disruption of international travel may have led to a lower number of students in education establishments than would otherwise have been expected, because of a reduction in the number of students arriving from overseas.

A managed communal establishment is a place that provides managed full-time or part-time supervision of residential accommodation.

Examples include:

  • university halls of residence and boarding schools
  • care homes, hospitals, hospices and maternity units
  • hotels, guest houses, hostels and bed and breakfasts, all with residential accommodation for seven or more guests
  • prisons and other secure facilities
  • Single Living Accommodation (SLA) in military bases
  • staff accommodation
  • religious establishments

It does not include sheltered accommodation, serviced apartments, nurses’ accommodation, and houses rented to students by private landlords. These are households.

Communal establishment resident

A usual resident of a communal establishment is either:

  • someone who lives there
  • someone who works and lives there
  • someone who is a family member of staff that works there and lives there


A household is defined as:

  • one person living alone, or
  • a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address who share cooking facilities and share a living room or sitting room, or dining area

This includes:

  • all sheltered accommodation units in an establishment (irrespective of whether there are other communal facilities), and
  • all people living in caravans on any type of site that is their usual residence; this will include anyone who has no other usual residence elsewhere in the UK

A household must contain at least one person whose place of usual residence is at the address. A group of short-term residents living together is not classified as a household, and neither is a group of people at an address where only visitors are staying.


Last Update
a year ago