This dataset includes data from the 2011 Census released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Data has been derived from Census Output Areas which have been aggregated to 2016 and 2019 wards on a best fit basis. This has been done by allocating output areas to the ward in which the output area's population weighted centroid falls. The aggregations have been determined by the Surrey-i team and may differ from any look up table subsequently produced by the Office for National Statistics.


Elmbridge and Woking wards revised in 2016

Reigate & Banstead, Runnymede and Surrey Heath wards revised in 2019

Notes and Definitions

1. The main population base for outputs from the 2011 Census is the usual resident population as at census day (27 March 2011).

Although the population base for enumeration included non-UK short-term residents, these are not included in the main outputs from the 2011 Census, but are analysed separately. All outputs, unless specified, are produced using only usual residents of the UK.

2. For 2011 Census purposes, a usual resident of the UK is anyone who, on census day, was in the UK and had stayed or intended to stay in the UK for a period of 12 months or more, or had a permanent UK address and was outside the UK and intended to be outside the UK for less than 12 months.

3. Further information about the census estimates, including details about the methodology and other definitions used, how other population sub-groups are counted, Output Area maintenance and other geographic information, are available on the ONS website at


ONS as the executive arm of the UK Statistics Authority has a legal obligation not to reveal information collected in confidence in the census about individual people and households. The confidentiality of all census results, including the counts in this release, is protected by a combination of a variety of disclosure protection measures.

Terms and Conditions

These statistics may be used, excluding logos, under the terms of the Open Government Licence.

Open Government Licence (

Frequency: Census (10 years)

UK Open Government Licence
Last Update
5 years ago  
15 files
File icon
DemographicsJan 2011

Household resident:

A household resident is a person whose place of usual residence is in an individual household, and not within managed residential accommodation in a communal establishment.

Communal establishment resident:

A communal establishment resident is a person whose place of usual residence is in managed residential accommodation. This means any person who was living, or expected to live in a communal establishment for six months or more.

Average household size:

The population living in households divided by the total number of households

File icon
AgeJan 2011

Age is derived from the date of birth question and is a person's age at their last birthday, at 27 March 2011.

File icon
Ethnic GroupJan 2011

Ethnic group classifies people according to their own perceived ethnic group and cultural background.

File icon
ReligionJan 2011

This is a person’s current religion, or if the person does not have a religion, 'no religion'. No determination is made about whether a person was a practicing member of a religion. This question was voluntary, and where no answer was provided the response is categorised as 'not stated'.

File icon
Health & CareJan 2011

Long-term health problem or disability:

A long-term health problem or disability that limits a person's day-to-day activities, and has lasted, or is expected to last, at least 12 months. This includes problems that are related to old age.

Provision of unpaid care:

A person is a provider of unpaid care if they look after or give help or support to family members, friends, neighbours or others because of long-term physical or mental ill health or disability, or problems related to old age. This does not include any activities as part of paid employment.

File icon
QualificationsJan 2011

Level 4+ qualifications:

Degree (for example BA, BSc), Higher Degree (for example MA, PhD, PGCE), NVQ Level 4-5, HNC, HND, RSA Higher Diploma, BTEC Higher level, Foundation degree (NI),

File icon
Economic Activity- All people aged 16-74Jan 2011

Economic activity:

Economic activity relates to whether or not a person who was aged 16 to 74 was working or looking for work in the week before census.

Economically active:

A person aged 16 to 74 is described as economically active if, they were:• in employment, as an employee or self-employed, • not in employment, but were seeking work and ready to start work within two weeks, or • not in employment, but waiting to start a job already obtained and available.

Employed full-time:

Working as an employee for 31 hours or more per week. This applies to the number of hours a person worked in their main job, and includes paid and unpaid overtime.

Employed part-time:

Working as an employee for 30 hours or less per week. This applies to the number of hours a person worked in their main job, and includes paid and unpaid overtime.


Self-employed people aged 16 to 74 own and operate their own business, professional practice or similar enterprise, including those operated with a partner. This relates to a person’s main job. This can include people who work freelance. Self-employed people who are not freelance can have employees who work for them.


A person aged 16 to 74 is classified as unemployed if they are not in employment, but are available to start work in the next two weeks, and either looked for work in the last four weeks or are waiting to start a new job.

Full time students (economically active):

Full-time students who fulfil any of the criteria are classified as economically active and are counted separately - they are not included in any of the other categories such as employees or unemployed.

Economically inactive:

A person aged 16 to 74 is described as economically inactive if, in the week before the census, they were not in employment but did not meet the criteria to be classified as ‘Unemployed'. This includes a person looking for work but not available to start work within two weeks, as well as anyone not looking for work, or unable to work - for example retired, looking after home/family, permanently sick or disabled. Students who fulfil any of these criteria are also classified as economically inactive. This does not necessarily mean they were in full-time education and excludes students who were working or in some other way economically active.

File icon
Household CompositionJan 2011


A household is defined as one person living alone, or a group of people (not necessarily related) living at the same address who share cooking facilities and share a living room or sitting room or dining area.

Dependent child:

A dependent child is any person aged 0 to 15 in a household (whether or not in a family) or a person aged 16 to 18 in full-time education and living in a family with his or her parent(s) or grandparent(s). It does not include any people aged 16 to 18 who have a spouse, partner or child living in the household.

Lone-parent household:

A lone-parent household is a household that comprises a lone-parent family and no other person. A lone-parent family consists of a father or mother with his or her child(ren) where the parent does not have a spouse, same-sex civil partner or partner in the household, and the child(ren) do not have a spouse, same-sex civil partner or child in the household. A lone grandparent with his or her grandchild(ren) are also considered a lone-parent family if there are no children in the intervening generation present in the household.

File icon
CarsJan 2011

Cars or vans in household:

This applies to the number of cars or vans that are owned, or available for use, by one or more members of a household. This includes company cars and vans that are available for private use. The count of cars or vans in an area relates only to households. Cars or vans used by residents of communal establishments are not counted.

File icon
TenureJan 2011

Tenure types


Accommodation that is either 'owned outright' or 'owned with a mortgage or loan'. Includes “Shared ownership” (part owned and part rented)

Social rented:

Accommodation that is rented from a council or local authority, or from a registered social landlord, housing association, housing co-operative or charitable trust.

Private rented:

Accommodation that is rented from a private landlord or letting agency, employer of a household member, relative or friend of a household member, or other non-social rented accommodation.

File icon
AmenitiesJan 2011

Occupancy rating:

Occupancy rating provides a measure of whether a household's accommodation is overcrowded or under occupied. In this summary the measure of occupancy rating, is based on the total number of rooms in a household's accommodation. The ages of the household members and their relationships to each other are used to derive the number of rooms they require, based on a standard formula. The number of rooms required is subtracted from the number of rooms in the household's accommodation to obtain the occupancy rating. An occupancy rating of -1 implies that a household has one fewer room/bedroom than required and is thus overcrowded.

Central heating:

A household’s accommodation is classified as having central heating if it is present in some or all rooms (whether used or not).

File icon
Number of bedroomsJan 2011

Number of bedrooms:

A bedroom is defined as any room that was intended to be used as a bedroom when the property was built, or any room that has been permanently converted for use as a bedroom. It includes all rooms intended for use as a bedroom even if not being used as a bedroom at the time of the Census. Bedsits and studio flats are counted as having one bedroom.